STR (Clemson Tiger) and Matt Melton's (Wake Forest Demon Deacon) view on Sports - www.SportsTalkRocks.com

Monday, May 01, 2006

2006 Clemson Baseball Team (33-13), are they good enough to win the College World Series this year?


Do you want me to be honest or do you want me to lie? Trust me, I want the Clemson Tigers to go to Omaha this year and win the World Series but...... I just don't see that happening. And no, not because none of the players bend the bill on their ball hat. I def. can see them making it to the College World Series and making a strong appearance, but after the butt whipping that Georgia Tech handed to us the other weekend, that really puts huge concern in my belief for this baseball team being College World Series Champs.
I thought that our pitching staff was just too good to ever let us be out of any ball game - well, I was wrong on that one. Our hitting has been solid, but 1. not solid enough and 2. not powerful enough. Don't get me wrong Clemson fans, I'm a huge fan of this team, I do think that they are really good. To be in first place in the ACC (Atlantic Division) - that shows what kind of a team we are. Let me state again, I do think we are one of the best teams in the nation, Top 10 Program, all I am saying is go back and look at past World Series champs, have they ever got their butt whipped in a weekend series by a team like the way we got ours whipped the other week by Georgia Tech?
Here is my opinion on breakdown of our Baseball Team
Pitching----Overall, a A or A-
Defense-----Overall B or B+
Speed-------Overall C or C+
Hitting------Overall B or B+
What do you think of that report Card? Now, with not having Straight A's on that Report Card, doesn't that mean that we are not good enough to win the College World Series? I know words such as "hot, luck, timing, and on fire" come into play when talking about baseball like...."that team is HOT right now," or "you gotta get hot at the right time," and etc., but aside from all of that mess, I do not see us as "the best team in the nation" or see us winning the College World Series. I hope to gosh I'm 100% wrong, and I hope that within the next week or so I do see us "turning hot" because that would be turning hot at the right time and keep in mind, it does appear that we are pretty warm right now as it is!
Here is a link for the Top 25 List - http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

South Carolina will win a CWS before Clemson ever does.

10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes they have a shot because it looks like they will host at least a regional and most likely a super regional and homefield advantage is huge. But I really dont think their is a dominant team this year so Clemson will have a shot. I guess it helps not having to play UNC when they are playing great this year. After having 3 off weeks Clemson will be tested by FSU this week and in the ACC tournament.

But yeah they have just as good of a shot as anyone.

8:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home