STR (Clemson Tiger) and Matt Melton's (Wake Forest Demon Deacon) view on Sports - www.SportsTalkRocks.com

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

QB Controversy In Columbia?


Chris Smelley--------------------------------Blake Mitchell
6-3 / 206 pounds--------------------------6-3 / 212 pounds


The simple answer to this question is no...... at least not this year. I can see it now, USC will beat MSU by 3 points and Mitchell will have had just a horrible game. There will be tons of USC fans complaining and asking why isn't Chris Smelley playing. Smelley has the potential to be a great QB at USC. He has looked good in practices and in scrimmages. Like I said, he has potential. However, potential has never won a football game. Below I am going to list a few reasons why Blake Mitchell will start every game this year barring injury.

1. Smelley is a freshman - If you are a freshman that means that you have never been in a college game right? I know Smelley was a big deal in Alabama but he has never played in front of 80,000 people screaming so loud you can't hear. Never seen the athletes you will see on defense in the SEC. Never played a game on national television or felt the pressure that comes along with that.

2. Blake Mitchell produces - Blake completed about 60% of his passes for 2,370 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also threw 12 interceptions. I'm not a betting man but... wait a minute yes I am. I bet you Mitchell will throw for over 20 touchdowns this year and only 7 interceptions. Why you may ask. He has a year under his belt of seeing tough competition. He is more familiar with what Spurrier is trying to do. And he has Sidney Rice.

Now, I'm not saying Smelley will not play. I am just saying he will not start one game all year. If we want Smelley to be a great QB he has to play. I am going to make my prediction that Smelley will see his first action with 8:05 left in the 4th quarter of the Mississippi State game. So if Mitchell has a poor game at some point in the season don't call for his head. He is a good QB. Let's save the controversy talk for next year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I guarantee you though SOS has given Blake a short leash w/the way Smelley has performed in S. Carolina's scrimmages. So if Blake starts making mistakes look for Spurrier to throw in Smelley.

9:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I want to see Mitchell start everygame but I also want smelley to get some time. Just over a week to go!

2:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two points:

#1 - Danny Wuerffel.

#2 - Let me know how much you want to put on your +/- 7 interception number. I'll take your money.

7:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Mitchell will probably throw around 9 ints but over 20 touchdowns.
I think will proctor will throw well over 10 int's...... 16

3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that anonymous is probably a South Carolina fan.

9:52 PM

 
Blogger JCTiger said...

I agree with you Josh. Hopefully the competition will only make Mitchell player better/harder.

10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home